As I typed in this entry, I am alternately scratching my scratchmarks/stretchmarks-full tummy. I just cannot keep my hands off my excruciatingly itchy skin.
It’s been almost 2 weeks and my battle against this horrendous rashes has yet to end.
As of this time, I have tried products I’ve researched on google, suggestions from my OB, family members and friends who are with me through this battle.
Allow me to enumerate some of the ways I’ve tried that works (for a few hours) to manage this cursed rashes.
- Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap – I came across this soap when I was literally crying and desperate researching online for cure against this PUPPP. It is usually sold in the United States but I was lucky to have found an online seller here in the Philippines through Shopee app (just like what I have mentioned in my previous post) This soap works wonders. It flattened my rashes in a few days, lessened the itchy feeling for an hour or so.
- Baking soda – this was suggested by ate Tzie (thank goodness my sister-in-law slash tropapips Maida mentioned my condition to her). The first time I used baking soda, I used 1 box full to a pail of water. It was the first time I actually had a decent sleep of atleast 3 hours. I also did the baking soda paste, mix the baking soda powder to a small amount of water till you get the pasty consistency. After taking a bath with Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap using the water with baking soda, I’ll use the baking soda paste where it itches the most. Unfortunately, because I wanted the rashes to go away soon, I think I’ve put too much, I ended having wounds and some of my body parts bled so I had to stick with the pail of water with baking soda.
- Super Moringa Oil – I took noticed of this oil when we went to the mall last week. I had to have another oil or lotion to put because the pine tar soap and baking powder combo doesn’t last very long. It consists of moringa oil, menthol, orange oil, pepper mint, turmeric oil, VCO and eucalyptus lemon scent. Once I started to itch, I will apply a minimal amount on the affected area and then I’ll feel a warm and cold sensation that soothes my itch for some time.
- VCO/Virgin Coconut Oil – I bought the Pro-Source brand from the supermarket. I have just started using this for a few days now. And though I smell like coconut oil or lana, it does helps with the dryness of my skin. (Pine tar soap and baking soda combo does help with the rashes but it dries your skin so much) I was actually thinking of taking 1 tablespoon every morning because I read somewhere it would also help but I have yet to muster the courage because I might vomit.
Let me also enumerate some of the tips they’ve (OB, dermatologist, family, friends and colleague) suggested just in case you are 1 out the 200 who’ll get this rash in the future (though I am not hoping anyone will catch this)
- Anti-histamines (cetirizine/claritin) – this is for allergic reaction and I was previously prescribed to take 1 tab per day but due to my extreme condition, I was told to take 2 tabs per day though there’s still no effect. I’ll just get drowsy, then that itchy feeling comes then goes away the drowsy feeling equals no sleep still. (my eye-bags are worth more than a kilo now if we’re going to weigh them, kidding, haha). I stopped taking these when I noticed that my baby’s movements a little less active than usual.
- Moisturizing lotion – I was given a nameless moisturizing lotion with betamethasone valerate by a dermatologist I consulted with. It’s supposed to help but it didn’t work for me but just in case, try, who knows, this might work for you for all we know, (you just had to get a prescription from a doctor first because betamethasone is a steroid and is usually best avoided during pregnancy.
- Hypo-allergenic soap – I first bought cetaphil when I had my rash thinking this might actually help but lo and behold, it didn’t. My dermatologist prescribed again a nameless hypo-allergenic soap which can only be bought in his clinic but unfortunately, nada, it still doesn’t have an effect on me, it just dried out my skin, leaving it more itchy.
- Camias Leaves – you’re supposed to get the leaves and slap them a little to the affected areas, but since it’s super itchy, I literally slap the leaves and branches on my legs just to ease the itchyness and unfortunately, I just gained more marks, slap-marks that reminds me how a legs would look like after you got a beating of walis tingting.
- Katinko – an ointment consisting of methylsalicylate menthol plus camphor. This was my go-to whenever I encounter some itch here and there. It also helps with muscle pain and headache. Unfortunately, when I used this product on my rashes, it just made them worse but I read in google that in some preggy women, it works for them.
- Cetaphil Restoraderm lotion – it has filagrin and ceramide which was supposed to help with the dry and itchy skin but nil, it did not help me at all but in some women it does, it just wasn’t meant to be for me.
- Calmoseptine – it’s an ointment that has calamine and zinc oxide. I tried this for some time but it dried my rashes so much leaving them inflamed and scaly. Maybe I’ve put too much? I don’t know. But still, this ointment is still one of my fave go-to for my unica hija’s nappy rashes or scrapes.
- Sudocrem – this is usually used for nappy rash but can also be used for eczema, surface wounds and other skin complaints. I tried this as well but it didn’t work for me as well.
Right now, some of the rashes in my entire body have flattened. My legs that used to be like a lechon-colored full of bumps now looked like a bad case of tanning session plus the spots. I actually looked like a human dalmatian and just this morning, another wave of PUPPP rashes are sprouting in my arms; seems like I have yet to see the finish line of this disease. According to my research (naks may ganun, hahaha), it’s not actually a sure shot that delivering my baby will get rid of the rashes. Some women has to battle with this for at least 6 months postpartum, some a few days after. As for me, my baby still enjoying his time inside my tummy and have yet to come out. I hope he’ll come out soon though, this coming week perhaps, or tomorrow.
Wish me luck! tata for now!
I actually would have wanted to add some pictures of my rashes plus the products and skin improvement but my laziness got the better of me (preggy here) so I’ll update my post as soon as I can. 😛